Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cheeze Snob!

Okay, I admit it.

I'm a cheeze snob.

Maybe it's because I'm in an area of the city right now where pre-made shreddable vegan cheese, such as Teese, Daiya, and Cheezly are unavailable.

Or perhaps it's this new-found penchant for a love of purity in all foods.

Despite that tremendous amount of chocolate I ate last night.

What-ever it is, I am on a quest to recreate the Kraft Dinner of my youth, in Vegan form.  A noble quest that all vegans strive for.  I'm not quite vegan yet, mind you, but I've got the vegan spirit! 

I've never been very good at following recipes.  I always have a tendency to nit and pick and change things around.  This can either be disastrous, amusing, or it can turn out well.  90 % of the time it's the former two.

So, finally, I decided to quest for the closest Kraft Mac n' Cheeze I could find.  

I read many recipes, and first tried to make my own.  Inspired mostly by the idea of liquid smoke by Vegan Dad and Olives for Dinner.

Too much liquid smoke.

Still delicious, but mostly a steamed-vegetable-dip.  Next time, instead of being inspired, I should actually follow these recipes.

Then, I tried Oh She Glows.  Though wonderful, I used too much sauce and not enough noodles.  I think I used oat milk.  The noodles were swimming, so I didn't get the perfect mouthful.  Will have to try that one again later, as it was still very indulgent.  I really should attempt the Butternut Squash version.

But then, after meticulous searching, I found it, and I followed it to the letter.  The closest, most wonderful recipe is also, unsurprisingly, not too frilly.


Bam!  There it is!

I will have to find miso, and play with this a bit, see if I can make my own version...  Someday, I will find my very own, perfect cheeze sauce!  

Next stop:

Pizza cheeze!  Must... Find...  Perfect..  Cheeze!!!!

And for those who would like to learn about Vegan-Cheeze-Making, I'm also curious to try this cheeze, with mozzarella adjustments.  It's also very informative:


And noww..  It's salad time!

Ciao!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment